NigeriaAfrica Help by sharing this information December 26, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Police urged to consider all possibilities after leading journalist shot dead at wheel of car News News News NigeriaAfrica News Receive email alerts Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures to go further January 28, 2021 Find out more June 10, 2021 Find out more February 8, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Nigeria Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirms Organisation RSF_en Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria Reporters Without Borders today called on the Nigerian police to consider all possibilities in their investigation into the 22 December murder of Godwin Agbroko, the head of the editorial board of the privately-owned This Day newspaper, after his family expressed scepticism about a police claim that he was probably killed by robbers.“Nothing would be more harmful that a botched investigation with no satisfactory outcome,” the press freedom organisation said. “It must be thorough and transparent. All doubts must be dispelled and all those responsible must be found and punished.”Reporters Without Borders added: “Nigeria is beginning an already tense run-up to elections and the police should understand the shock that Agbroko’s murder has caused to the press community, which saw him as one of Nigeria’s most courageous and generous sons.”Agbroko was found dead at the wheel of his car on the road to Daleko bridge in the Lagos district of Isolo at around 10 p.m. on 22 December, shortly after he left his office in the district of Apapa. He had been shot in the throat. The window of the driver’s door, which was locked shut, was shattered. His safety-belt was still fastened. The air-conditioning and radio were still on. None of his belongings had been taken. Three policemen and two passers-by were shot dead in the same area that night.Although the police think he was shot in the course of an attempted hold-up, his son, Tobor Agbroko, said the Nigerian press and his family suspected a targeted murder.“He must have been trailed from the office,” he said. “There was a phone worth over a hundred thousand naira. It was not touched. His money, his wrist watch and several other things in the car were not touched as well. (…) You cannot fool anybody by saying they were robbers. The shot was a very professional shot because it was at the jugular. It was only one shot. So you cannot tell me it was an armed robbery attack. If it was an armed robbery they would have taken something from the vehicle.”Agbroko was a well-known journalist who wrote a regular, bylined column for This Day. He edited several newspapers during the 1993-99 military dictatorship, when he was detained at least twice in 1995 and 1996. He was held at a military intelligence detention centre from 18 December 1996 to 6 May 1997, during which time he was allowed to see his wife only once. He was awarded the PEN/Barbara Goldsmith prize in 1997.After the return to civilian rule in 1999, he continued to write ironic and acerbic commentaries on Nigerian politics. His last column, published on 19 December, satirized the primaries being held by the ruling People’s Democratic Party.His murder comes two months after that of Omololu Falobi, the founder and executive director of Journalists Against AIDS (JAAIDS) and former editor of the privately-owned daily The Punch, who was gunned down in similar circumstances shortly after leaving his office in the Lagos district of Ogba on 5 October.Violent crime is a major problem in Nigeria. The regional bureau of the privately-owned daily Vanguard in Onitsha, in the southeastern state of Anambra, was attacked yesterday by robbers, who killed distribution assistant Ifeanyi Nnadi before making off with money and equipment.
Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said that Del Rosario and Morales’ suit was a “futile exercise” and the ICC was right in dismissing it for lack of territorial and personal jurisdiction. According to the complainants, Xi and other officials were responsible for the destruction of the environment and the loss of marine resources in the area due to the creation of artificial islands, militarization, and various other activities./PN “In contrast, the Morales-Del Rosario tandem resorted to an ineffective process, evidently for its propaganda value,” he said. Panelo added that the ICC neither has jurisdiction over the Philippines, as the court failed to comply with the publication requirement in accordance with due process under the Philippine Constitution. According to Panelo, President Rodrigo Duterte has chosen an effective mode accepted under International Law of directly engaging the People’s Republic of China in bilateral negotiations to resolve the South China Sea dispute in a peaceful, expedient and efficacious manner. MANILA – Malacañang has recognized the International Criminal Court’s decision to junk the suit lodged by former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario and former Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales against Chinese President Xi Jinping and other Chinese officials. “Apparently wanting to still milk the issue for media mileage to advance their pretended nationalism, they are still bent in pursuing their wrong tact despite the rejection of their complaint,” the Palace spokesperson added, citing the appeal planned by Del Rosario and Morales. Del Rosario and Morales sued Chinese President Xi Jinping, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and China’s Ambassador to the Philippines Zhao Jianhua last March of committing crimes against humanity in connection with Beijing’s activities to gain control over most of the resource-rich South China Sea. “This dismissal is consistent with our previous stand that the filing of the complaint is a futile exercise, as the ICC has no jurisdiction over China, it being not a state member,” Panelo said. read more